Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Scotty: "Beam me up"


I just felt I had to pay my last respects to a man that helped shape the dreams of at least one generation - , or as he was known to the world. Every time I look at my cell phone, I think of Star Trek. As I watched the original series episodes as a kid, I hadn't a clue that the genial man with the broad scottish accent was actually Canadian. Then again, as a British kid, Canada seemed as far away as the voyages of the enterprise at that time.

To me he spoke one of the best movie lines of all time: "A keyboard, how quaint!"

And fathered a child at 80 - that was one law of well, not physics, but some other science, that he was able to change. His project estimating skills are still the basis of many a plan of mine.

Estimate - it'll take at least 6 months.
Question - can you do it 3?
Result - do it in two and you're a miracle worker.

His plan to have his ashes scattered in space is befitting of a career centered off this world, but a reality that never took him there in life.

Scotty - RIP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home